Jambalaya Artists

Jambalaya Artists
Book our Jamba Talent! Visit www.JambaProductions.com

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Vocal Tips! Here are some tips from Opera Singer, Lori Fredrics

Vocal Tips 
Suggested by Opera Singer
Lori Fredrics

I was told that chocolate is bad and causes mucus. 
Should I avoid it?
I have heard of anecdotal evidence that eating chocolate makes one's throat uncomfortable.  But I know of no definitve studies. Chocolate has lots of sugar , which can negatively effect people with low blood sugar and caffeine which does have a drying effect. Personally, I do not eat chocolate right before I sing. Other singers can tolerate it. Try it and see what effect it has on you . If you test it at non-critical times and it is ok, then don't worry!
I was told that I should avoid spicy foods, is that true?
It is an individual thing. I find that eating spicy foods clears out my congestion. But then it leaves me feeling dry, therefore, I would not eat a very spicy meal right before an important performance. I do believe spicy food is a good tool to move congestion before it settles and makes you ill. Try it for yourself and see how it effects you as an individual.
Ok, so milk, chocolate, spicy foods, tea and coffee might not be a problem. What should I worry about?
Ok, below is my list of things proven to have a negative effect on the voice.
1. Lack of rest and vocal rest
2. Dehydration
3  Having to speak over noise.
4. Smoke, including second hand
5. Alcohol on the day that you sing or more than one drink the night before
6. Eating too close to bedtime causing acid reflux
7. Sick people that will infect you with upper respiratory infections.
As you can probably imagine, attending an opening night party where you tire yourself out, speak over loud music, drink too much, eat too much before going to sleep and shake hands with many sick people is the worst thing you, as a singer can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment